Here are a list of observations about things that are banned where the bans impinge on citizen's freedoms and rights for no valid reason.
- Smoking in outdoor areas - Why?
- Smoking on a beach - Why?
- No dogs on the beach - Why?
- No gay marriage - Discrimination based on religious doctrine in a secular state is WRONG!
- Censored internet - Censorship is BAD!
- Random breath testing - even without a reason to suspect someone may be under the influence, they can pull you over and make you submit to a test under threat of being charged
- Must drive under 50km/h in built up areas unless otherwise signed (even on a deserted and wide street) - Why?
- 24 hour 40km/h zones near schools - Why?
- Marijuana use - where's the evidence that this is dangerous for adults?
- Removal of the unrestricted speed zones in the NT - Why?
- Mexican wave banned at the MCG - Why?
- Stassi-like dobbing in of litterers, water-wasters etc. - a real threat to freedom!
The above list of bans and restrictions are arbitrary and have become accepted by a supine people who have over the years allowed their freedoms to be eroded.
There are many other examples I'm sure, but that'll do for now!
Is nanny right? - In Depth - theage.com.au